- Santa Barbara Independent Foodie Awards 2011. The "Izzie" Lifetime Achievement Award
- "The Golden Dish Awards of 1995" Alan Richman. GQ, January, 1996: "The first bite was a revelation...John Downey is one of America's best chefs..."
- The last week of August 1982: The mission statement: "to offer exquisite food and wine in a comfortable, relaxed atmosphere where it would be easy to drop in for a quiet dinner."
- April 1983, "Gourmet Magazine," Caroline Bates: "A remarkable restaurant in every way."
- 2002 Zagat Survey, Downey's has remained "Top Food" in S.B. for the past sixteen years in a row! "Still #1...Still in a class by itself
- Los Angeles Times, Ruth Reichl: "The food is so fine I'm tempted to go and talk to the cook."
- "Food and Wine Magazine:" "We found Downey's-hands-down, to be the best bet in town
- Santa Barbara Restaurant Guide"/Nippers.com Arthur von Wiesenberger: "John Downey should be credited with bringing nouvelle cuisine to Santa Barbara. He has revolutionized the way people eat on the central coast...His restaurant on State St. has become an institution to fine dining.
- Nov. ‘83, L. A. Times Lois Dwan: "The Ojai squab and bok-choy greens slid into the sauce as easily and inevitably as into love on a summer night."
Last Updated on Tuesday, 27 December 2011 05:17